Biyernes, Enero 2, 2009

Our New Little Darling

Several years ago, our family had two dogs when we were still residing in Valenzuela City. One was Beauty, a very sweet and charming Golden Retriever and the other one was Danica, a very energetic German Shepherd. Unfortunately, they are both gone now. I have been emotionally attached to those pet dogs so it was quite hard for me to let go and I cried a lot when they died. I love them so much!

Anyway, this post is about Hamsty. That's the name we gave to this cute little hamster that my son bought almost a week ago. The hubby and I were out of town when our son bought Hamsty so when I arrived home and saw this tiny creature, I admit, I was very skeptical. We only have a limited space here at home so for me, having pets is not at all a bright idea. Besides that, I personally do not know anything about hamsters. So, I am making a sort of research about how to care for our pet hamster.


According to what I've researched on wikipedia, Hamsty is a type of Roborovski hamster. Roborovskis (Phodopus roborovskii) are the smallest of all hamsters commonly kept as pets. Distinguishing characteristics of the Roborovskis are the white spots where the eyebrows would be, and the lack of the dorsal stripe seen in all other dwarf hamsters. They live, on average, to three and a half years of age - the longest of any domestic hamster.


Hamsters are omnivorous. Their diet consists mostly of grains (such as whole grain oats and corn) but also includes fresh fruit, roots such as carrots, green parts of plants. Hamsters carry food in their spacious cheek pouches to a cache in the burrow. We tried feeding Hamsty with taco shells last night. In the picture above, you can see how Hamsty excitedly grabs the taco shell from Digi's hand.

Hamsty is so adorable so I am now convinced that we should keep her as our new house pet. She is alert, curious, and active. She likes to play and eat then sleep afterwards. She also likes to interact especially during the evening when she's active. As I type this entry, my son and his uncle Martin arrived home with another hamster so Hamsty is not alone anymore. She now has a playmate, Hefty! I'll post a picture of Hamsty and Hefty together soon!

Walang komento: